Thursday 31 July 2014

New rules

Today marks the end of my no-buy year. At times it was tough and frustrating, mostly though it was rewarding and thought provoking. Even though I am allowed to spend again I have decided to impose some regulations on myself to prevent a spiral back into major consumerism. I want to be able to buy pretty new things if I want them but also want to better understand the difference between impulse buying and well thought out purchases.

To this end I’ve set myself some limits. I’ve been reflecting on them a bit recently as the next year might be a period of some change (more on that later) so I’ve been a bit more lax about the rules then I suppose I could have been.

Here they are:

1.       When I establish a need or want I will first ask around in my circle of friends to establish if anyone has what I need and could loan me or possible swap me something for it.

2.       If I cannot find it this route I will put said item on a 30 day wait wish list, if after 30 days I still want said item I will go out and get it

3.       Limited to 3 new items per month

4.       Total cost of new items not to exceed R1500 per month

5.       Total cost of new items not to exceed R10000 a year (so about R830 a month on average)

6.       Above rules to apply to personal items ie things that I spend my own money on. Not items bought from our communal account for use by hubby and me. For instance my cloths, electronics, accessories etc.

7.       Keep track of all purchases. Blog each months summary

So far I haven’t actually thought much about what I want this August. Most of the items on my current wish list are spring/summer orientated and it’s a bit too early to start buying those items just yet. Most stores are still having winter sales.
The only item I might try and snatch-up in the winter sales is a warm grey hoodie. I want one with a zipper down the front and a soft fleecy lining. It has to be extra warm (as that was my number one issue with my jumpers this winter!). I am a bit on the fence with this one though. I keep wondering whether it’s wise to buy a jumper now when I’m hopeful that the weather will be improving soon. Will think on this a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment