Monday 2 September 2013

Another weekend

Another weekend has come and gone! I did almost nothing this weekend, biggest contributing factor was the weather which was dismal! I started a new book and spent most of my time reading, even reading in bed since it was warmer under the blankets. Our kitty agreed, she must have been very cold because she came and crawled in under the blankets with me and spent the time snoozing, stretched out all along my leg.
I did remove a few more items from my wardrobe, patch up a torn pair of jeans that I used to wear almost every day and came to the realisation I have no useable winter clothes for Europe. All my jumpers are fairly light and I own no gloves or woolly hats. This is a slight problem since we are going to France in December to celebrate our wedding with all my Fiancés family who couldn’t make it to CT. When I left Europe (some 4 years ago now) I vowed never to return during winter so I chucked all my winter gear. Opps. However, as part of the minimalism ideal I will not now go out and buy some winter kit. I will ask around if I can lend stuff from some friends and maybe borrow some items from my Fiancés sister while there (this would actually be fantastic because then I don’t even need to pack it and schlep it there and back!). tada! Quick thinking :)
Otherwise I’ve been thinking I need to try and focus on one thing at a time. I have a tendency to over reach and then not get anything done. At the moment here’s what I am busy with and what I was thinking about tackling:

1.       Work (8hrs a day)

2.       Studying (I have a big assignment due in three weeks so about an hour a day at least required here)

3.       De-cluttering (trying to simplify our flat and lifestyle)

4.       Gym and swimming

5.       Eating healthy (I wanted to tackle a no-sugar diet)

6.       Meditation (would love to start)

7.       Gardening – start a small herb garden in a vacant plot in the communal garden of our building (I already have permission from other owners)

8.       Volunteer work --> I’ve been thinking about where and what. I think teaching Maths would be the most personally rewarding for me.

9.       Chemical free life – Make my own cleaning products and toiletries

I’ve realised it’s all too much and too soon! I need to take smaller steps if I want lasting change. I’ve thus decided to nix the sugar free diet (although I will try and cut down a bit I won’t be so strict), the gardening, meditation and volunteer work for now.
Instead I will try and re-focus on the simplifying of life, including the chemical-free ideal and a bit more exercise. That’s not to say that I won’t get around to the other stuff though! I am quite excited about my sister coming over end October. She’s been doing her own veggie garden for a few years now so I am hoping she can get me started with the gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment