Tuesday 3 June 2014

My look

I am now into month 10 of my no buy year! There are quite a few items on my ‘to buy’ list now but I’ve also started re-evaluating my list and crossing some items off again. Quite a few have notes now – good to have, buy when such and such worn out, so I will only buy these pieces to replace others I own when they are damaged beyond repair.

The extended no-buy period has also given me lots of time to reflect on my look. I have had time to consider my style both in clothing and in makeup and hair. I have spent ages reading about signature looks, see the INTO-MIND website.
So far these are my conclusions:
Clothing:
·         Avoid black! Navy blue and Grey are my best neutrals, throw in more white as well
·         Best colours are shades of pinks and blues, I had a colour consultant tell me I am a cool medium summer
·         Style is fairly natural classic with a hint of bohemian. I like classic simplicity, comfortable and soft fabrics, low heels, jeans and am veering away from all my graphic Ts to more blouses. Winter I prefer tighter pants that I can tuck into my boots and in summer I prefer a much looser fit.
·         I like front button tops and cardigans
·         I dislike most patterns and am not into floral or ethnic/graphic prints. I prefer muted animal prints and stripes worked into the fabric (ie ribbed tops). Best of all I like solids though.
·         I love scarves and am considering making these my signature items
·         I have yet to settle on a style icon I love though, these are some looks I like and could wear as is:
 
Make-up and Hair
·         I have found my icon! Alexa Chung. I love how she does her eyes with a dramatic sweep of eyeliner. For a couple of years now eyeliner has been my only must have makeup product and I’ve always loved a cat-eye look. With my pretty blue eyes I’ve always felt the need to accentuate them.
·         For my daytime look I will copy her, only avoiding the eye shadow and having a slightly less dramatic wing at the ends of my eyes. Everything else will be keep nude/muted to balance the bold eye (and so I don’t have to spend more than 3min on make up each day!)
·         For my hair I am considering a similar look to her as well, although it will probably not be as bold as her. She has frosted tips and a mussed bedhead look that I’ve looked into and is apparently a little time consuming to emulate. Standing in front of a mirror getting my hair right with a curling iron is going to happen once a month tops I just can’t be bothered normally. 
 
Since my last exam is next week Wednesday I am considering booking myself a hair appointment for that weekend. I haven’t been to a hair dresser since I had a trim right before our wedding. Think I'll have to talk to the hair dresser a bit beforehand to hammer down exactly the style I want. Looking forward and dreading it a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment