Friday 28 March 2014

Unexpected packing blip

So I am busy packing for 10 days away. Only to realise I don’t actually have enough underwear to get me through this period. We do laundry in the weekends so I have a weeks’ worth of worn items in the laundry basket and only a handful clean now. This has not been a problem before as I had enough to get from wash to wash (with a couple spare). This must be a classic minimalist issue. Do I go out and buy some more now to get me though this one period I need more (normally my current collection suffices) or do I make a plan to try and launder some items during my trip somewhere?

I figure as soon as I get home I’ll throw in a load of laundry and then I’ll have to pray a bit that they all dry before I have to finish my packing. Either way I am determined not to have to buy more items. Not so much because of my no-buy plan (underwear was always exempt from that anyway) but because I don’t normally need them and it’s a bit silly I think to prepare for things that rarely happen (otherwise you could find yourself collecting loads of items – just in case!).  A trip like this where I know I won’t have access to a washing machine is very rare as most trips we take are to visit family abroad.
Sometimes living minimally forces you to be a bit more pro-active or creative in finding solutions. I have had to think on my feet a couple of times now (and reach out to friends to borrow items every now and then) but I have yet to bump into any real problems so it is possible to get by with less. And let’s not forget the pride when you find a workable solution without having had to run to the shops to get whatever item!

No comments:

Post a Comment