Wednesday 9 April 2014

Minimalism on holiday

So I managed to fit everything for my 10 day trip into 1 small suitcase that I could carry onto the plane. Even my handbag fit into it.

What did I learn?
1.       Only pack tried and tested clothing. I had a pair of black pants, I remember the first time I wore them they were quite itchy but I kept them, washed them regularly and when I occasionally wore them again they were ok. However, when I wore them now to the expo I was in a situation where I was walking a lot more than usual and spent quite a bit of time in them. Oh my goodness did they chafe! Something in the material didn’t react well to my skin (despite being 98% cotton and 2% elastin). I was covered in red, itchy bumps. Needless to say I didn’t bother to bring them back with me.

2.       Packing light to suit all weather temperatures and fluctuations is not easy. I only took one jacket with me and while I was happy to have it most evenings it was too warm for during the day. I might need to man-up on future trips and take two jackets.

3.       Similar to 1, check out everything before packing it. I needed to pack some warmer cloths; most of mine had been in storage the last couple of months. I just grabbed a long sleeved T-shirt I haven’t actually worn since last winter only to discover that it was actually too small and did not fit well once I was on the other side.
All in all though I was happy I managed with so little and didn’t feel like I really missed anything. It is clearly possible to travel with less it just requires a little more thought beforehand. It made it easy for me to catch trains and wonder around with my suitcase. I also felt exceptionally smug while I was waiting on my boss since his suitcase had gotten delayed and misplaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment