Tuesday 11 November 2014

Changing body shape and my maternity capsule



Oh my gosh I feel like I have completely ballooned recently! I went from having a tiny bump which I was happily still wearing most of my cloths with to something that I feel resembles a blimp (ok DH feels I am overreacting here but it’s hard to accept the extra weight when I’ve always had the fortune to be very slim).

I know it’s all for a good reason etc but it is strange to realise how much your body is actually changing in all sorts of unexpected ways. My body almost feels like a stranger to me and I am finding the best way to take it in is to just trust that it knows what it’s doing and hope I can get it back afterwards.

In the meantime losing touch with my body has not been helped by the fact that I felt like none of my cloths fit my new shape. Everything was starting to pull somewhere (if not over the bump, then over the breasts). Some of my shoes are getting too tight, causing what I’ve despairingly started referring to as muffin top feet. Walking around with your pants undone also loses its charm after a while (the yay I can still wear these, kind of, feeling is lost).

So... I bit the bullet this weekend and went out with the plan to buy myself a small maternity capsule. I have read so much about capsules so I figured I could give it a go and find myself enough clothing to last until after baby. Here were my criteria:

1.       Stick to neutral tones: I choose White, Navy and Grey. I already had some looser pants in black and stone so I tried to make sure any items bought now would match these pants. The light blue maternity top I bought last month also works with these colours.
2.       Classic lines, solid colours or subtle pattern. Nothing too fashion forward
3.       Pick items that are still loose enough to allow for more growth around belly and bust.
4.       I would need about 4 work appropriate tops and wanted a couple of looser T-shirts. I also wanted a few tank tops for layering or wearing on their own in the weekend (this meant that the straps on the tanks have to be wide enough to cover my bra straps and not gap at the sides). The tanks also have to be quite long in order to extend over belly.

I then went shopping. Since I didn’t want to spend a fortune on these items (since I don’t expect to wear them that long) I went to Mr Price again and Cotton On.
So here is my maternity capsule, Items marked with a star are new (I will summarize and price these in my November purchases round-up). I also bought 3 tank tops (two in white and 1 grey that I did not include in the pictures



The above are all work appropriate. There are 13 clothing items. I am also happy that most of it is mix and match-able giving me more outfits options. There are only a few items I would not possibly mix, for example the longer loose black Palazzo style pants doesn’t really go with the brighter, patterned tops. I also still have some tighter T shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts and a pair of yoga pants but I didn’t include these as they’ve pretty much been relegated to only around the house wear. I also didn’t include my cardigans and jackets since most I can still wear (only open).

The last step before I put all these new items in my wardrobe was to take everything out of my cupboard and pack away anything that didn’t really fit me anymore. All my cloths now fit on two shelves but that is ok since at least I know now that no matter what I pull out it will fit me. All in all, I am much happier with the way I look now and am pleased with the items I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment