Thursday 6 November 2014

Nesting?



Whew, the week has been busy and the next ones will only get more so!
We have been thinking hard about how to make our flat work once we have a baby (since we came to the conclusion we really couldn’t afford a house in a neighbourhood that we loved).

It’s taken some planning and lots of 3D sketches but we have decided on a new layout that we like and that will afford us the ability to add an extra bedroom. Now it means we have to prepare plans, organize materials and coordinate a few different crafts men and builders.
To limit the scope of the work somewhat and give us somewhere to store our stuff we have decided to leave the main bedroom alone. This means that by the time the builders start work on the 1st of December I have to have all items in the house safely stored away in the bedroom. I am so grateful I purged quite a bit last year! Moving everything I am sure will give me a second opportunity to toss stuff that got missed in the initial sweep.
At the same time we will need to move out of the flat for the three weeks of work. This means I have to pack any necessities we might need during that time as I am hoping to seal the bedroom door (against dust) and therefore will have no access to anything until the builders leave. It also means a lot of small details to be organized, ie where will I be staying (hubby is going skiing in France during the work! Lucky him), organizing a cattery to look after our kitty for a while, house keys for builders etc. I am just grateful that hubby has organized with a work colleague around the corner to check in with the workers every other day and follow-up on their work. That takes a lot of responsibility off me (who will be well into my third trimester by then!). All I have to do is the prep clearing away, move out for three weeks and then I get to show up again when everything has been done. Knowing hubby’s colleague he will be ace enough to organize a proper clean of the flat as well before we move back in. 

Ah, but I have one extra responsibility. I am a lighting designer and I work at a factory where we make light fittings so it seemed only fitting to do all the lighting in theflat myself. I’ve been pinning my favourite types and will update everyone soon. I have two major pieces to work on – the dining room lighting and the kitchen lighting and a couple of smaller items – bathroom and passage lighting as well as an LED cove lighting around the new partition wall. Some of the existing lights also have to be re-wired as switch positions are changing. So some work yes but hopefully mostly creative work. I will attempt to keep prices as low as possible and DIY where I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment