Sunday 8 December 2013

Choosing how you feel

Today I am tired. I feel like I have a million errands to run and there was traffic getting to work this morning. Ordinarily I would be upset and angry.

Angry at my spouse for gaming late and keeping me up last night.  Angry that he is not helping out more with the chores.  Annoyed that I had to take a detour into traffic this morning to pick up a colleague and cross in general since I’m tired. I would normally be snappy for the rest of the day and pass on my foul mood to everyone I came in contact with today.
But there is an alternative. I can choose not to be angry. Stuff happens, it’s not always good but we can choose how much we let it affect us. In the past I have always let it affect me a lot. I panic and freak out or feel so overwhelmed I just want to go home and cry. I don’t want to be that person anymore. I can master my emotions. I choose not to be upset today (how unfortunate that doesn’t work for tired as well!). I have made a list of my errands and will work through them. Instead of being cross with DH I asked him for help. He can do some errands for me. I have to pause every time I am getting upset and realise he is not doing it on purpose, he just doesn’t know. When I ask him to do something he gets it done so I should just ask more often without sitting around fuming and wondering how long it will take him to notice. That is unfair on him.
So today I will be tired yes, but I will also be calm. Maybe I can even choose to be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment