Wednesday 11 December 2013

When More is Less

I’ve been reading snippets of Barry Schartz – The Paradox of choice.

He talks about the affluence in America today, how people have so many more options than before but are not measurably happier. He says that the overabundance of options (everything from cereal to which university to go to) makes us feel like we have to analyse every decision we make. We are also quicker to regret choices, always thinking we missed out on a better opportunity.
He says it is better to live as a satisficing, someone who makes decisions they find are good enough and moves on than a maximizer, someone who always looks for the best deal. Maximizers are often overwhelmed by the options, spend too much time making a decision and more often have regrets about whether it was correct afterwards.
I feel like this resonates with me, particularly in this season of gift buying.
To be happier Swartz suggests accepting your decisions (not trying to reverse them afterward for fear of missing out on better) and appreciating what you have rather than constantly comparing your life to others.
There is great similarity in this, minimalism and the blogs I read about simplifying your life and finding happiness. It is reassuring to know that it is normal to feel overwhelmed by all the choices we make today. I feel like I would like to cut some of the more mundane choices out of my life. It is not always easy to avoid decisions though. A life is full of them, from everyday like what to eat and wear to more important decisions like who to marry, whether to have children or what career you want.
When making big decisions I like to be informed, at the moment for ie I am reading everything I can about children. DH wants to start a family but I am not convinced yet. Learning and reading up about stuff has always been my way of coping with hard decisions. My mother told me though that this is not a decision you’re ever really ready for and sometimes you just have to have faith that it will all work out. Maybe shes right maybe decisions should rely more on faith and intuition than endless research. Still not sure about kids but mulling things over and trying not to over analyse. Or maybe I should rather try and limit my decision options in smaller items such as whats for dinner first instead of such a huge life question.

No comments:

Post a Comment