Monday 9 December 2013

Gift buying and minimalism

What to do when you’re the only minimalist during Christmas?

We are going to France to meet-up with all DHs family. We will be spending Christmas with them. They usually give each other gifts and DH has already told me that he grew up with a lot of stuff and in his family material gifts are important. Gift giving is kinda how they show they care. Hmmm tough for me now. I was hoping to skip the whole gift giving rigmarole, and have told everyone not to worry about getting me anything there’s nothing I want.
But what about when you know you are getting things anyway? Culturally the concept of reciprocation is very strong. It is inbuilt and very hard not to give back once you’ve received something. So all of a sudden I’m faced with having to get some gifts anyway. Gifts for people in France.  I would like to avoid material gifts, so far I am thinking vouchers for massages, movie tickets etc. However since these companies are based in France their websites are all in French (predictable but not making my life easier). His family also live in a tiny village so no major shops or chains close by I can get them vouchers for. At this point I am thinking to just fill the suitcase with food and drink from here and give everyone some of that.
There are many online idea gift lists for minimalists, all saying experience experience, which is fine if you’re in a big metro where there are lots of options. I don’t even think there’s a cinema in DHs hometown! There’s quite a bit of pressure on me now to go out and buy something, anything! Or am I being needlessly hard on myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment