Monday 2 December 2013

A new painting

I started a new artwork last night. I bought the canvas this weekend and spent the rest of the weekend deciding what to paint and finalising details (I am not a slap the paint on the canvas kinda girl – my perfectionist tendencies run to painting as well and I like to do some prep before starting on a new piece). Yesterday at work I was distracted by the thought of going home and starting on the piece. I was excited and fidgety. I was eager to start and I was surprised by the level of my anticipation. Clearly I should try and paint more often if I get this excited. The last piece I did was in March of this year.

At home I carefully sketched out the design. Taking my time to make certain I got all the details I wanted in and that the piece was exactly in the centre of my canvas. Tonight I can start with paint. I am looking forward to that as well. To mixing the colours up just right (the acrylics I use tend to turn a shade darker once dry so I’ve learnt to adapt slightly). I will get my easel out, put some background music on, possibly have a glass of wine next to me (yep the cutting out alcohol is not going so well at the moment) and paint. Before I know it, it will be time for bed. That’s what doing something you enjoy does, for me I zone out and time flies by.

I wonder why I put off doing something I enjoy so much. You should never be too busy; you make time for your pleasures right?  I am hoping with all the wedding stuff over now I can move to a more relaxed routine with more time for myself and fewer commitments on my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment