Tuesday 23 July 2013

Day 1


So how did my first night go?

I got home very motivated and tackled a smaller cupboard in the bedroom, only 6 drawers.

Top two socks and knickers, lower down handbags, hair dryers and an assorted collection of random stuff, receipts, coins, some LED components (I work in lighting) and so on.

It took me quite a while to trawl through but now 5 out of the 6 are emptier and my socks are looking a bit lonely in one corner of the drawer (surprising how many had holes in them or were threadbare). I even managed to empty one drawer completely. The last drawer is where I keep all my documents so figured that would be a whole separate chore.

The only thing in there that wasn’t mine was a laptop belonging to Ant (my fiancĂ©).  He hasn’t used it in almost 4 years and it doesn’t work. I asked him if I could chuck it out and he said no because he wants to try and get the hard drive out first. Really? Ant is not the kind of guy to ever get around to doing that but ok I figured, he’s not ready to join me on this crusade so I tucked the laptop in the bottom drawer of his bedside cabinet thinking at least it’s no longer in my zone.

Overall; It was hard going, took longer than expected and didn’t really leave me with a buzz. I feel faintly depressed about it, not because I am sad to see things go but because I expected to feel better about it. The only other feeling I had was a desire to go buy new socks. So all in all not a success.

I think I will maybe take smaller steps from now on. Tonight maybe only 2 drawers in the cupboard next to the one I did last night. It will take me ages to get through everything though. I immigrated here 3 years ago with 1m3 of stuff so I am a bit surprised at how much stuff I have collected again in such a short space of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment