Wednesday 24 July 2013

Day 2


After reading some more inspirational articles yesterday afternoon since, well, I needed them to keep going, I tackled my shoe collection yesterday.

I love shoes, shoes are my go-to when I’m feeling down. After things imploded on my previous relationship I found the perfect relationship replacement trifecta; shoes, handbags and chocolate. While this definitely helped in the short run it has left me with a rather large collection. I have some very pretty shoes, unfortunately though some are just not wearable. I bought a few pairs in the wrong size or that are super uncomfortable. I am very tall so most of my heels are also underused. There is a large disparity in my shoe collection as well. Some pairs I’ve had for almost 10 years and worn only a couple of times, then there is one that I’ve worn to shreds. My finance kept saying I should throw them out especially once I had actually worn a hole right though which my little toe could stick out of. So yes those went in the bin yesterday.

It was once again depressing to realise how many I had been so excited about and then had gone into the closet never to see the light of day again. I removed about half of my shoes, those worn to bits went in the bin, those in good shape I will take pictures of and see if I can sell a few or gift them to friends. If not there’s a charity shop very close by that should be happy. It will be a bit sad to see them go though, a lot of them represent different phases in my life or aspirations I had, for ie a very smart work pair that Id bought as a student when I had visions of being a savy business woman. Some sky high cage heels that were my ’on the prowl’ shoes. Some tekkies in a bright yellow I was thinking to paint but never got around to.

I’ll need to get some boxes from work and line them up in the lounge until I can get everything out the door.

Feelings: Still depressed and sad about seeing things go. Liking the look of the emptier cupboards, wondering if I might have to get rid of some cupboards since I am actually feeling the need to fill them all again. Decided not to be too harsh on myself, set a 20% reduction as goal. I can always go through it all again once I’m more comfortable. Lamenting the fact that there is no easy way to get rid of stuff. Garage sales are not done in SA, markets are rare and you first need to pay for a spot. Selling every item separately online seems a mission and I don’t want people coming by all the time. A friend suggested selling as a job lot. Will think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment