Monday 22 July 2013

Minimalism?


I’ve been thinking a lot recently on the value of items and the constant drive to get new/better stuff. Everything seems to be about buying new stuff all the time and it’s almost overwhelming to battle this constant push. Maybe it’s because we are getting married in October that I am feeling it extra hard at the moment. The wedding industry is huge and aggressive. It’s all about results and grandeur. Everyone is constantly trying to convince you that certain items that I had never even considered before getting engaged are absolutely necessary and cannot be missed or else your wedding would be a disaster. As if deciding to be with someone you love could ever be a disaster (I mean stuff on the day like do you really need a 5-tier cake?)

Anyway I did some research online and found there is quite a large movement at the moment for a more simple lifestyle and evaluating what really makes you happy in life. I am not talking about the minimalist extremists who advocate living with a single back pack and less than 100 items. I am talking about the moderates, those who realise that we shouldn’t let our stuff or lack thereof define us. Those who advocate appreciation of people, hobbies and self-fulfilment before the next quick-fix shopping spree. (I love theminimalistmom.com)

I am keen to give this a try, in a lasting kind of way. Since I know it will be hard (if it’s been too long since my last shopping spree I actually start dreaming about one and can at any given moment list more stuff I feel I absolutely need) I will attempt this in small steps.

I would love to over time get my partner along as well. His occasional utterances of how we have enough money and should totally go get new mountain bikes/coffee machine/computer etc is probably the second reason I’ve been stressed recently and wish to change my lifestyle. As the financially aware member of this family I know we are not as well off as my fiancé seems to think we are, especially since we have some large costs coming up (wedding!).

Anyway, Baby steps.

Here’s my current plan:

Spend next few months before wedding de-cluttering house. It’s in 3 months so that will hopefully be enough time. Plan of attack is room by room (maybe even cupboard by cupboard). I will start with my stuff to give my fiancé time to adjust before I tackle communal goods (ie kitchen paraphernalia)

Donating most stuff to a charity shop close by. I have learnt to check with friends if they want anything first though.  If there are some more expensive pieces I will try and sell them on Gumtree (SAs version of Ebay).

Not buying new clothing for at least 12 months. I think this will be most difficult as I am a bit of a shop-a-holic.

Trying a 30 day list for other purchases: If you want to buy something write it down with the date, if 30 days later you still want it then you can buy it.

This blog is basically a way to keep myself motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment