Monday 27 January 2014

My attempt at Capsules

Some smart advice for aspiring minimalists: Wear fewer colours. Decide which work for you and keep your wardrobe within that pallet. This makes it much easier to mix and match your clothing.

I’ve previously noticed which colours I tend to wear a lot, these are: Navy, Pink, Purple, all shades of blues and some coral in my summer pieces. Then I did a seasonal colour analysis and found out I’m a deep winter (dark hair, bright blue eyes, pale complexion).
These are the colours I can wear according to that analysis:

Actually I was already wearing most of these colours. I was ecstatic that I had over the years automatically already gravitated towards the colours that work best for me.
Next I decided to have a look at what a capsule would look like for me specifically, using items I already owned or liked. I decided to do a work capsule first. These colours would be more muted and formal and I choose navy, black and grey as my base. I used 13 clothing items and 9 accessorizes (including shoes). I used 4 bottom pieces (only 1 skirt since I’m not a skirt kinda girl), 6 tops, 2 cardigans and a blazer. Everything works with everything else in this capsule.

 
Next I thought about a casual capsule. For me, I love pops of colour and would need some colour to alleviate the darker, formal tones of work. I tried however to re-use pieces from my work wardrobe so as to minimise the number of items I would need in total (all except the black, I don’t like wearing black in my free-time). For colours I choose hot pink, coral and navy. I kept the same basic number and grouping as the work capsule. I swooped out only 5 clothing items and 6 accessories. I also included some bold prints.

 
There is some overlap but the general feeling of the capsules is quite different. Unlike the work capsule I feel like not everything goes here (I would not for ie wear the pink pants with the pink top!) but most of it is interchangeable still. I counted the total number and came out at 33 items. This is do-able for a minimalist wardrobe. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment