Monday 20 January 2014

My shoes

I read the following article online last week:


It basically said that most women own too many shoes, they own on average 20 pairs but only put 5 in rotation.
I thought wow, 20 pairs, that’s loads! Or um that’s what I thought. When I actually got home and counted them it turned out to be exactly 20. I lined them up and took this photo.
 
Then I remembered that the pair of flats I’d worn that day were still in the lounge, so that made it 21! This was after I’ve already thrown out quite a few pairs in the last few purges.  So how many shoes is enough? I had a think about what the minimum would be for me; 1 sport pair (for the gym and squash), 1 hiking pair (seldom used but necessary), 1 pair of work flats, 1 pair of fun/cute flats, 1 casual trainer, 1 low-heeled that’s formal enough to wear to work, 1 pair of winter boots and 1 pair of flip flops or comfy sandals for the beach. So that’s 8 pairs. That’s less than half of what I have now. Currently I, for ie, have 4 pairs of casual sneakers (2 summer, 1 all-seasons and 1 winter version). I also have 4 pairs of flip flop/sandals.

Straight away I removed 3 pairs, my beige flats which are actually a size too small, my blue leather sandals (bought and then found out how uncomfortable they were first time I wore them) and a pair of black flip flops with a kitten heel. I actually used to love these flip flops, I thought they were super elegant, a flop with a mini heel, great for in town in summer, not so practical for the beach which is just about the only time I still wear flip flops.

I once again debated my tan wedge sneakers. I am finding it so difficult to part with these as they are so new and expensive. I keep wishing I’d bought them in white, navy or black instead, thinking I might have worn them a bit then. I’ve decided to put them on probation. They are winter shoes so I will keep them till then and if I haven’t worn them by next spring they too will be going. There are 3 other pairs also on probation, black low wedges and turquoise flats that are a bit uncomfortable after a while, both of these I’ve decided to try and break-in. If I can’t get them to fit well I’ll part with them. Lastly are my purple stud heels. I love these but sadly don’t get much opportunity to wear them anymore. The heel is too high for me to walk properly, DH doesn’t like them as they make me taller than him and I can’t wear them to work. I’ll put them at the front of my wardrobe and see if I can get them in rotation.

Shoes and hand bags have always been my kryptonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment