Thursday 30 January 2014

Re-discovering meaningful items

I have been de-cluttering for more than 6 months now. I have gotten rid of a lot of things, my home is easier to clean and I feel quite liberated. There has also been an interesting additional advantage to the de-clutter:

Finding loved but overlooked items
I will explain with an example: This is a sea-gull necklace. I received it from my mother on my 8th birthday while on holiday in Brittanie, France.


I have kept it all through the years out for sentimental reasons although the last time I actually wore it was probably when I was 18.
This weekend I did a clear-out of my jewellery, getting rid of damaged pieces and items I never wore and I had no attachment to. I found this necklace at the bottom of one of my jewellery boxes completely forgotten. I remembered the holiday that lead to its purchase, the long days on the beach and the carefree happiness of back then. I couldn’t get rid of this piece since it meant so much to me so why was I neglecting it?

I wore my necklace today and people have already asked me about it, so not only is it a good memento but it looks pretty enough on me to elicit comment.
This is not the only item that I have re-discovered. It is amazing all the pieces that have been lost amid all the clutter. Pieces completely forgotten and worthy of attention can now shine in the forefront. It has been a bit of a trip down memory lane at times as well. I am happy I can wear this piece again and I look forward to the next discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment