Wednesday 22 January 2014

Side effect of shoes

Last post mentioned too many shoes! Determined to try and actually justify most of them I wore my black wedges to work yesterday. I wore them the whole day and they were actually more comfortable than I remembered, even with the heat that had my feet slightly swollen.

Because of the heat I also, for the first time at work, decided not to wear full length pants. Instead I wore a ¾ pair that ends about 10cm under my knee (ideal for me since I feel like my knees let me down and don’t like them on show). I received quite a few comments from work colleagues that I looked amazing and how pretty the shoes were. Maybe the shorter pants accentuated the heels.
Then in the evening I was having a drink with a girlfriend and thought I’d wear my purple stud heels. Since the heels were already so flash it motivated me to add a pretty top, a waist coat and some edgier jewellery. Not a combo I would normally wear but I felt great!
To continue the trend I combined my turquoise flats (also being broken in) with a pretty patterned Desingual top today (I find this top so pretty but a bit hard to match with other stuff) and my black pants (which I am also trying to wear more often). Again I received quite a few comments. I am realising having less clothing is meaning I usually wear better fitting and higher quality stuff. It also means I have to experiment more so I can still get the variation a larger closet allows. Another unexpected advantage; getting dressed is quick since I have fewer options but this frees up some time for me to properly asses what I am wearing, check it really is a good combination and maybe even add some jewellery before I head out the door. I am better dressed now and more confident about what I am wearing. All this from an existing closet, I have bought no new clothing! However there is still room for improvement.
I have realised that my wardrobe is split in two, work and home cloths and that means that I need far more clothing (since I typically wear two outfits every day). I am now trying to mesh the two and when I buy new clothing focus on items that would work in both situations. This means that for ie instead of buying shirts (my classic work top) I should try a blouse, something pretty enough to wear anytime.
 
This means my work clothing will become a little less ‘uniformy’ and my home cloths a bit more stylish. Of course I can’t buy any new stuff until July (my year without) but this gives me ample time to still experiment with what I have, hone my style a bit and really settle on the look I want so hopefully no more buying errors. I have been considering trying some second-hand shops though and have thought about taking an objective friend along. That way I can try on lots of different cloths and see more clearly what suits me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment