Monday 8 September 2014

No TV thanks

So I just filled-in a survey for UNISA (University of SA). They are a long distance learning centre so often used by people who are working full or part-time, such as me.

Anyway they are trying to profile their students better in order to know who they are and what needs they have. One of the survey sections was about socio-economic group. It gave a list of devices/perks and you had to check whether you had said item or not. It ranged from a swimming pool and Dstv (our local satellite TV provider) all the way down to a flush toilet and running water. It felt strange to me that you would judge a person’s socio economic position like this. What would they think of me? My husband and I are both earning a decent income and with no dependents yet we do well (compared to most people in SA). We, however, do not own a TV, a tumble dryer, smartphone, and a couple of other items listed at the higher end. Does the absence of these items automatically drop us into a lower socio-economic group? Or maybe the fact that we have consciously cut these items means that we are capable of living according to a higher standard otherwise, ie most items we don’t own are fairly pricey and the Dstv for instance is a monthly expense of about R800.
Then I wondered, if it is that abnormal for us not to own these items? Is moving up the economic ladder seen as an automatic accumulation of items? Perhaps ending with a 10 bedroom McMansion and a large pool?

My Mcmansion - Um, no thanks


Clearly based on this survey it is. I resent the fact that it is assumed that as soon as you are capable you will invest in a smart phone or a swimming pool. Being well-off shouldn’t be about these items, I feel it is more about being able to provide yourself and loved ones with decent health care, schooling and security. Investing in happiness through self-actualisation, holidays and time spent together (and actually conversing, not parked on the couch).
Sometimes I reflect how lucky we are not to be swept up in this mainstream material world. Lucky that we judge our success not on the things we own but on the things we are capable of doing. I love my hubby, he loves me, we are looking forward to making it three and that is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment