Monday 11 November 2013

My working wardrobe capsule

I was thinking about trying out the 30 fro 30 challenge (30 items of clothing for 30 days) and have decided that it is probably too big a challenge for me at the moment. I love my bright colours and have pinks, corals and myriad shades of blue in my closet which would make it quite difficult to come up with the basic pieces that will mix and match well. Also I am not scared to admit that I think I will probably get bored with my wardrobe very soon if I had to limit it like this.

Instead I decided to try something similar on only my work cloths. I have a semi-uniform for work; Neutral colours, pants, a shirt and flat shoes. Work is casual enough that I can wear jeans and although I could get away with wearing T-shirts I prefer to wear a shirt with a collar as I find this an easy way to look professional and make a divide between my work and my home cloths. As a child I always went to a school with uniforms (most schools here in SA) and I’ve continued to change when I get home ever since. I find coming home from work, taking a shower and then putting on my home cloths the easiest way for me to separate my thoughts and to keep my mind from dwelling on work issues after hours.

So I thought since I already have a uniform it wouldn’t be too hard to limit myself here. I choose only 12 items, things that are already staples in my work life. I tried to make sure that everything went with everything else for maximum flexibility.
My work items:
1 x Jeans (bootleg)
1 x Black pants
1 x Purple pants
1 x white ¾ shirt
1 x black satin shirt
1 x Short sleeved white shirt
1 x coral shirt
1 x navy Cardigan
1 x grey jumper
1 x blue-grey handbag
1 pair black moccasin flats
1 pair grey leather trainers



 
Almost all of above is black, white or grey. However I included my purple pants and a coral shirt for some colour and they go quite well with the purple glasses I wear while at work (I find my contacts irritate me when I am doing lots of work on the PC). I realise a black bag would probably be a better match with the items I choose but since I don’t own one this blue has become my working standard, luckily since I spend all day in the office it is only visible on the way to and from the office so I am not too worried that it doesn’t match my black items. I apologise for poor pic quality, the cable for my better camera has been temporarily misplaced what with so many people having stayed  in our flat moving stuff around it’s a mission to find anything! I will try this out for a month to see how it goes.

Monday I wore my jeans, white ¾ shirt and my black moccasins. Tuesday was the same except I swapped out the jeans for the purple pants. Hoping this will simplify my mornings a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment