Thursday 7 November 2013

Purchasing errors

I know everyone occasionally buys stuff they regret later. I have about 3-4 clothing blunders every year. It’s a lot less than during my student days but still way more than I would like. Purging my wardrobe the first time in August got rid of a lot of the older purchases but still left me with a few regrets.

My single biggest recent mistake was buying these:

 
A pair of wedge sneakers in Tan. I think they are very pretty but they are wrong for me on numerous levels;

1.       I don’t own any tan/beige/brown clothing that would match. I can only get them to work with my jeans and two other pairs of pants.

2.       Their ankle height means you need a skinny pant under or something shorter (I never wear skirts)

3.       I find them to be big and clumpy and quite heavy on my feet

4.       I almost never wear heels

5.       Lastly I feel awkward in them, they are supposed to be very in and trendy (or were when I bought them) but when I put them on I get the feeling I’m not wearing the right stuff with them. I almost feel like they are too fashion forward for me and the rest of my outfit feels frumpy in comparison.

They are practically brand new, I wore them 2-3 times when I first bought them and then packed them away and haven’t taken them out since. What do you do with something like this? Part of me wants to continue ignoring them rather than admit the mistake (after all they weren’t cheap either), part of me feels I should make an effort to wear them and the rest feels they should go.

I also wish I was hip enough to pull these off. I’ve learnt that some of my mistake purchases are when I buy items to fit a lifestyle I would like to have rather than my current one. Examples such as this one (I am a hip young trend setter), sky high polished business pumps and tailored black pants (a successful corporate CEO), 2 beach dresses (why, oh why?).

I also often get suckered into the ‘buy the second one at half price’ ads which is why I have some items numerous times just in different colours. I am looking at you Urban for always getting me here!
I am hoping this no-buying stuff for a year and the 30 for 30 project (more on this later) will teach me to think better before I purchase items and help avoid making future blunders

No comments:

Post a Comment