Thursday 15 August 2013

Day 25 and Body Wash

Tuesday night I made my first body wash! I used a bar of vegetable soap (fragrance free), a tablespoon of coconut oil, 3 cups of water and 15 drops of sweet orange essential oil.

Impressions: It took a long time for the soap to melt (it was on the boil with the water). Once finished it was very runny but I figured it would solidify a bit as it cooled down. I poured it into a plastic water bottle and it made about 750ml. I actually used the warm bottle as a hot water bottle that evening while reading (yay so nice and waaaarm). The next morning it had a slightly thicker consistency but had settled out a bit. The top part looked thicker than the layers underneath. In fact by the afternoon the top had almost solidified but a good shake got it all flowing again.
I haven’t used it in the shower yet since I figured I’d give it more time to set. I did try it to wash my hands though. I found it very slimy! I think this is mostly due to the soap I used though (it was a pure nature soap and was quite oily to begin with). The orange scent is also not discernible :(. I will try and add some more orange oil and see if this helps. Looking at the consistency I think I should have added 4 cups of water, I am not sure if I can add another cup now though.
Overall: Useable but not fantastic. I think I need a different base soap though (It for ie said Fragrance free but actually had a strong soapy smell which now completely covers my orange). Maybe I’ll check at Pick n Pay again for their soap selection (since I was so pleasantly surprised last time by their oils). I’ll have another go once I’ve used up this one, which might take a while. It is actually very cheap, the bar of soap cost me R35 and I now have 750ml body wash. I think the soap was actually too fancy though (I bought it at a specialized soap place) so it should be even cheaper if I use a different one in the future. My only other gripe: The plastic 1L bottle looks terrible in the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment