Thursday 1 August 2013

Bathroom stuff


 
Here’s my basket of products in our bathroom. I realised afterwards that it doesn’t even contain any of the stuff I have in the shower. It’s quite a bit. Using the skindeep database to go through it took ages and not all products were listed so now I have some question mark stuff.

I got rid of everything that scored a 5 or higher. That’s almost ¾ at the mo! Trying to think of what we really need/use all the time and what’s extra. These are, I reckon, the basics;

For him:

·         Shaving foam

·         Shower gel

·         Shampoo

For me:

·         Shampoo and conditioner

·         Shower gel

·         Face wash

·         Eyeliner + Blush

·         Moisturiser, face and body

 

I was so relieved that the super fancy, expensive shampoo and conditioner that I had bought especially to have super soft, shiny hair by the wedding fell into the 4 category so I could keep them! Our Nivea creme moisturiser also got a 4 (stays) but I was surprised that most of our other Nivea stuff failed. I thought they were an ok brand. My boys shaving cream came out a 6 so I will be looking to replace that asap (I was forbidden to throw it away without first getting him an alternative! My boy does not do shaggy).

Not sure what to do with the unknowns. Now I guess I will have to check their ingredient list separately and try and decide that way. Not sure what to do with the stuff that I trashed either. It seems a waste to throw it all away (most bottles are still quite full) and I don’t really think you can donate stuff that’s already been opened. Also, now that you know how hazardous some of it is it’s not like you want to give it to friends.

Also the whole process made me think more about the make-up I buy. I like make-up, I like the small containers and the thought of it. In reality I hardly ever wear the stuff though. I don’t wear make-up to work. If we are going out at night I will put on some eye-liner and blush and sometimes when I’ve missed some sleep and have little panda eyes I’ll put on some concealer under my eyes. So that’s 3 products. I for ie never wear lipstick! I do own 5 tubes of it though, same for eye shadow. All this is going. I have a big tin I keep all my make-up in, maybe it’s time to get rid of that as well. Maybe I can put it all in a pretty glass (which I already own!) and it will be more accessible and take up less space in the bathroom. Before I was always digging in my large tin box looking for stuff so not wasting time on that anymore seems a plus.

Feelings: Wondering if I made the de-cluttering process that much harder by looking at the environmental/chemical side of things. I know it will take a lot longer to sort out the bathroom this way but hoping it will be a less toxic environment afterwards. Also wondering where to buy fragrance free products in SA? Think I will miss my citrus scented shower gel :(

No comments:

Post a Comment